Beet is a herbaceous plant cultivated as a source of food for humans and livestock. It is the taproot portion of a beet plant. Common garden beets are also referred to as table Beet or beetroot also known as the table beet, garden beet, red beet, dinner beat, or Golden beat.
It is believed that beats are originated along the coast of Mediterranean and cultivated varieties of Beta vulgaris. Beets were grown by the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans. Tagalog translation of beetroot is ‘Ramolatsa’ goes for a beet plant and its edible roots.
In Canada and USA, it is usually known as beets while in British English the vegetable is referred to as beetroot. There are wide varieties of beet types. Let’s look!
|Avalanche||Detroit dark red||Lutz green leaf||Early wonder||Merlin|
|Chioggia||Forono||Moulin rouge||Crosby Egyptian||Golden Detroit|
|Red Bull||Cylindra||Touchstone gold||White Detroit||Ruby queen|
Boltardy beetroot is one of the most popular beetroot variety, Bearing deep red, globe shaped roots with an excellent sweet flavors.
Beets are a great source of fiber, folate, manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. It is very good to have beetroot every day as they are Low in calories and a Great source of nutrients and vitamin C.
It improves oxygen use ,stamina and hence improves athletic performance and act as a energy booster.
- Cholesterol free
- Gluten free
- Low sodium
- Fat free
- Good source of fiber
They also contain phytonutrients and oxidants which may help to reduce inflammation in the body. beets have medicinal values also. We use the beet leaves to cover wounds and beetroot as a mouth freshener.
Bartolomeo platina Recommended taking beetroot with garlic to nullify the effects of “ garlic- breath”.
They are also rich in boron which stimulates the production of sex hormones. Due to high fiber, it is great for bowel health. Every 100 gram of beet contained 2.3 gram of fiber.
Nutrition Facts of Root Veggie
USDA based on -Half Cup serving of sliced beets.
- Calories 35 grams
- Protein 1 gram
- Fat 0 gram
- Carbohydrates 8 gram
- Fiber 1 gram
- Sugar 6 gram
- Iron .4 mg
- Sodium 250 mg
As they are high in vitamin C, some consider beets to be good for the skin and can protect them from signs of aging, such as Wrinkles. They help reduce the intensity of chronic inflammation because they contain amino acids betaine. They keep our eye-healthy as it contains vitamin A and manages diabetes.
There are various ways to incorporate beetroot into your diet:
- One way is to consume beet juice and you can add beet greens as well as they contain a good amount of potassium and magnesium.
- You can add beets to your salad. Grate them finely.
- You can also bake beets and eat.
- You can make beetroot soup, smoothie And add spices accordingly to your taste. It is quite healthy and magical in weight loss.
- You can eat beetroot halwa a slow-cooked dessert with beetroots, milk, sugar, cardamom, and dry fruits. It has beautiful color and taste too.
- You can have beetroot carrot raita. This is a healthy nutritious and beautiful colored raita.
- You can have beetroot bhaji prepared in South Indian style. This subject goes well as a side dish with rice.
- You can use beets to dye your hair. If you are a hair lover or a hair styler, this could be for you. simply you can try is the beet, rosewater, and black tea and rinse.
- You can add beet green juice as they are powerful cleansers. the cleans the blood and kidneys.
- Raw beets also have terrific benefits- one of them is being the ability to prevent cancer.
- Pickled beets are more than good. Olympians used pickled beets for faster recovery. It contains sodium that helps prevent muscle cramps. Due to high sodium, exercise caution especially if you have hypertension issues.
- Beetroot powder has its own uses. you can add it to your soups, curries, or gravies. Use as a dry coating to snacks.
And you are in luck because winter is prime time for beets. They are versatile too. You can steam, fry, pickle, juice, Boil, slow cook, pressure cook, or eat them in a salad.
Take your pick! Stay healthy, safe and keep glowing!